Today we have my friend Shelly from Confettistyle with us!
Shelly is a fellow blogger and lover of all things beautiful.
This project is one of my favorites and I’m excited to share it with you all!
Shelly recently updated her home office and let our Boho Luxe Home wallpaper help…can you guess where she ended up hanging our “wallpaper”?!
I was fortunate to partner with Kellie’s company last year as part of the Merry and Bright Holiday Home Tour. Boho Luxe Home designed a custom table runner for me that I used to create a beautiful holiday tablescape. You can see my holiday tablescape showcasing the table runner here. Knowing what amazing designs Boho Luxe Home creates, I was thrilled to partner with them again on my office space.
When we moved into a new house last year, I started thinking about how I wanted to decorate my office space. I’m an interior designer so I wanted the space to reflect my design style—eclectic with traditional undertones. I also wanted a dramatic statement to the space and that’s where the Boho Luxe Home wallpaper comes into play. Instead of hanging wallpaper on the walls, I decided to put it on my ceiling.
After looking through all the beautiful wallpaper designs, I choose the the Bryony Storm Noir pattern. I love that the design is global and modern and bursting with color. It was the perfect way to add the drama I wanted in my office.
The process of hanging wallpaper on a ceiling can be a little challenging but with two pairs of hands it’s a pretty easy job. One thing to keep in mind with peel and stick wallpaper is that hanging it on a ceiling requires an extra step versus hanging it on a wall. This is a gravity-related challenge, because the paper is basically hanging upside down. You’ll need to apply a small amount of wallpaper glue to the edges to reinforce the adhesive. The glue will ensure there are no gaps or sagging due to the forces of nature.
HOW TO HANG PEEL-N-STICK WALLPAPER ON A CEILING
- Open each roll of wallpaper you will be using and unroll it so that it can lay flat. Leave the paper unrolled for up to 48 hours so that it can acclimate to the room and release any tension from being rolled.
- Measure the length of the ceiling and cut each individual roll of wallpaper to that length, PLUS an additional 12” for overhang. That overhang will be cut way after you apply each section.
- Wipe down and clean the ceiling so there is no dust or residue that could interfere with the glue and adhesive. Obviously, this needs to be a smooth ceiling. We know you want to cover up those popcorn ceilings, but wallpaper won’t work!
- With all the wallpaper lengths lying on the floor right side down, peel the backing away from the first section of paper.
- Using a foam roller, apply a 3 to 4” wide band of wallpaper glue along each edge.
- Once the glue has been applied, position your first roll of wallpaper starting in one corner of the ceiling. You’ll want to have another person holding the other end of the paper so it doesn’t fold onto itself.
- Smooth the first few inches of paper into place, smoothing out any air bubbles from the center outwards. Repeat down the section of paper until you reach the other end of the room. Run your hands over the entire surface to ensure firm adhesion to the ceiling. A plastic smoother may scratch the wallpaper surface, so if you decide to use one, be very careful. Boho Luxe Home suggests using just your hands.
- Use a straight edge and sharp utility knife to trim off any excess paper from each end of the roll. Smooth down the cut edges.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 with the second roll of wallpaper.
- As you begin to hang the second roll of paper, make sure to match your pattern so the design is seamless. Overlap the edge of the first roll slightly , approx. 1/2 inch so there is no ceiling exposed between rolls.
- Continue the process with the additional pre-cut strips of paper until the ceiling is completely covered.
Note: As you hang the paper, be sure to trim around vents and junction boxes using your sharp knife.
Now on to some design notes. Playing off the colors in the wallpaper, I installed black bookcases along the back wall and purchased a black dining table from Wayfair to use as a desk. The black pieces add another bold statement and were a great way to balance energy of the wallpaper. A few of my blue and white ginger jars are displayed on the top of the bookcases.
I placed a white credenza, also from Wayfair on the wall opposite the window and love how the white brightens up the space. I hung a gold starburst mirror over the credenza and accessorized the top with new, vintage and thrifted pieces.
I couldn’t be happier with how my office turned out. It’s fun, eclectic, traditional and unexpected. My design style to a T! Here’s one my look at the space in a short video I created.
Thanks Kellie, for making the vision of my office come to life!
See, I told you that Shelly was awesome!
Our peel and stick wallpapers are removable, ready to hang. A commitment-free way to add color and drama to a powder room, a feature wall or an entire room. No glue is needed and no damage to the walls. When you’re ready for a change, just peel it off. Make a statement on your walls (or ceiling) with Boho Luxe Home!